As I sat on my arse and created a resource link page for other WriMos, it occurred to me: I’ve been neglecting this lovely site. So, for the month of April, I’m going to start posting writing resources and my reviews of them. I know, you wanted stories, but right now I’m in the process of rewriting The Sand Flea from scratch again.
Didn’t you do that last November?
Yes, yes I did. I enjoyed it, but I thought I could do better and give it some sort of real plot other than ‘unwanted goblin learns to love.’ So I am. This time, I’ve outlined the basic events I want to include, and have written four scenes in full, for just over four thousand words. My end goal is one hundred thousand words, so I still have quite a ways to go. I’d like to reach 10k words by the end of the day, so I’ll use this as my writing warm-up.
Our first resource is something a friend and I made– the same friend who has been helping me develop Saldecla, and my first successful beta-reader.
I’ve found no end to its uses for character naming. We took over a hundred names and split them into syllables and half-syllables, then lined them up for easy picking. It’s quite simple. When one needs a name, one needs only grab a starter that either is the proper gender, has the right sound, or both. Then one simply grabs an ending sound or two and smashes them together however one lies.
It’s easy to add to, and some of the combinations are serious, funny, scary, or even cute. This is the sort of namer I would have used for Korenila, if it existed way back then.